VERDE uses shared storage to store clustering meta-data, provisioning profiles, Gold Images, and user data such as the profile and documents. The size of the required external storage is dependent on:
- Total user data. U = Number of Users * Disk space allotted per user
- Total gold images. G = Number of Gold Images * Gold Image size
- Total meta-data. M = 8 GB
To size the total required external storage, add U+G+M
The performance required from the shared storage depends on the amount of IOPS needed for the user data. Industry guidelines recommend about 5 IOPS for each user profile. The total performance required of the external storage can be calculated as follows:
P = Number of users * IOPS per user
For a system with 1000 users that each need 2 GB user data space, using 5 Gold Images of 20 GB each, the requirements for storage are as follows:
- Size. 1000 * 2 GB + 5 * 20 GB + 8 GB = 2108 GB
- Performance. 1000 * 5 = 5000 IOPS
The requirements for the storage system will depend on the guest sessions to be supported.
NFS network file-system supporting:
- NFSv3, and NFSv4.
- NLM file locking.
- POSIX permissions.
- Gigabit or faster networking capacity.
- At least 2.5 Mbps sustained network bandwidth per user.
- Enterprise-class hardware and configuration.