The options for installing Windows 2008 Server R2 are standard. Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition (Full installation) is supported with the Desktop Experience feature enabled. Do not disable this feature during installation.
- When prompted, choose the Installation Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method.
- Select "Install Now."
- Select the operating system type, "Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter (Full Installation)."
- Accept the license terms.
- When prompted for an installation type, select "Custom (advanced)." Do not select to upgrade.
- At the following prompt, always select "Disk 0 Unallocated Space."
- When prompted, enter a password for the Administrator account.
- Configure the system. Change the computer name.
After the image has been installed, follow these steps to ensure remote access from other computers is enabled:
- Navigate to the Windows "Start" menu and right-click on "Computer."
- Select "Properties." The System window will open.
- On the left panel, select the "Remote Settings" option. The System Properties window will open.
- In the Remote Desktop section, select the "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)" option.
- Select "Apply" to save your changes.
After installing the base Windows 2008 Server R2 Guest OS, and before you run the post installation script (FinishWindowsInstall) described in "Run the VERDE Post Installation Script," you need to install the Microsoft security update KB 3033929 available from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929.aspx.
Enable Windows Server 2008 R2 Data Center Desktop Experience
The Desktop Experience feature must be enabled after a Windows Server 2008 R2 Data Center installation. Perform the following steps to enable the Desktop Experience feature:
- In the Server Configuration window, select "Add Features."
- In the Select Features window, select "Desktop Experience."
- If any other features are required, a prompt lists them.
- In the Add Features window, select "Add Required Features."
- In the Select Features window, the "Desktop Experience" check box is selected in addition to the other required features.
- Select "Next."
- Finish the installation and restart the server.
- Continue with configuring the Gold Image.
See for more information.
Run the VERDE Post Installation Script
- Login to the desktop session and select Start > Computer.
- In the right pane, select the VERDE CD (CD Drive with the VERDE icon).
Run the post-installation script to configure VERDE components and make the Gold Image operational.
- Double-select "FinishWindowsInstall." Follow the on-screen prompts to install the VERDE VDI User Tools. Several software driver packages will install.
- When the installation is complete, Windows will shut down.
- Log into the VERDE User Console as an administrator and launch the desktop.
- Select Start > Computer. Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update.
- Immediately install all Windows updates.
- Select "Install updates" and follow the prompts to complete the installation
- Select Start > Computer. Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall.
- On the left navigation pane, click on Advanced Settings.
- Click on Windows Firewall Properties.
- Under the Domain Profile, Private Profile, and Public Profile tabs, change the Firewall State to Off.
Follow the steps outlined in .
- When this phase is complete, the status of the Gold Image is "NEW" in the VERDE Management Console.
- Select "CHECK IN" to make the image available for deployment.