Virtualized application layers provide application distribution to end users with Gold Images. Each image contains the basic application requirements of the organization. Specific applications can be deployed to each group of users.
- The application layers are compatible with Windows applications.
- The application layers work for all Windows User Mode applications except for “Kernel mode applications” that require device drivers.
- Application layers are published to the end users or groups using the provisioning rules from the VERDE Management Console.
- The end user sees one composite desktop which includes the Gold Image and the blended application layers.
- Applications are updated the same way Gold Images are updated.
VERDE provides a differential update mechanism for the application layers in disconnected mode, such as in a Cloud Branch location. When an application layer is updated, users have an option to reload the new application layer without having to restart the session.
Build the application package on a workstation or virtual machine using a third-party tool application package building tool such as ThinApp, SPOON, ZENworks, Cameyo, or InstallFree.
- Upload the application package to the VERDE Server from the VERDE Management Console.
- Publish the application.
- Deploy the application to users.
.msi file types with less than 2 GB each can be installed. The
.DAT file format is not supported.
After the virtual application package has been build, upload and import it in the VERDE Management Console.
- On the Application Layer screen, select "CREATE NEW" in the upper right corner. The Import Application Layer dialog will open.
- Enter the application name, Revision Tag, and select the target operating system(s). Application names are case sensitive.
- Select "Upload."
- The Upload dialogue window will open. Browse for the file you wish to upload. The file must have a.msi or .exe extension. Choose the correct file and select "Open."
- When the upload is complete, select "Import." The new application will now be listed in the Application Layer screen.
- Select "STAGE ." The application will be in an intermediate/temporary status that can be used during a test phase.
- Select "PUBLISH" to make the application available for deployment.
The new application package has been imported to the VERDE Server and is ready to be deployed to users and groups. Open the Desktop Policy screen, and perform one of the following tasks:
- Add a new rule.
- Edit an existing rule.
- Add an Image to an existing rule.
The Desktop Policy dialog displays the Application Layer tab.
- In the Application Layer tab, select the application to deploy or use the search option to find an application. The applications listed in the Search Results depend on the OS of the Gold Image selected search parameters (name and/or revision tag).
- In Search Results, select the application to be deployed.
- Select the deployment type:
- Latest. Applies the latest version of the application.
- Staging. Uses the application for testing purposes.
- Version. Enables selection of a specific version of the application.
- Select "UPDATE."
The application package can be installed inside the guest image when a user launches a session. Depending on how the application package was generated, the application may install automatically, or may be available in
\\host\apps, and is installed by the VERDE user.
If application packages were created with VMWare’s ThinApp, the
ThinReg.exe must be installed in the Gold Image to
ProgramFiles\VMWare\VMWare ThinApp\ThinReg.exe. The ThinApp application requires this to install the application package in the Gold Image.
Application packages created with Cameyo require no additional licensing or installation inside the Gold Image. The
.exe file is available in the
\\host\apps local, non-persistent drive.