The options for installing Windows 10 include additional steps to reset some of the Microsoft-enabled defaults included in a standard Windows 10 image. These steps are necessary to improve the performance of Windows 10 images running in a VDI environment. Please refer to Windows Advanced Configuration for more information.
- When prompted for installation type, select "Custom (advanced)."
- At the following prompt, always select "Disk 0 Unallocated Space."
- When prompted to enter a user name, choose a generic user name such as
- Choose a computer name that is unique on the network if the guest will be joined to Active Directory.
- If using Active Directory, specify the computer name/user explicitly when logging in to the Gold Image. Avoid complicated user names and spaces.
- When prompted, specify a password for the account.
- If prompted to enter a product key, clear the "Automatically activate Windows when I’m online" checkbox. Instead, activate Windows manually. This avoids unnecessary activations (if needing to reinstall) before the activation period expires.
- When prompted to select protection settings, select "Use recommended settings."
- When prompted for the computer’s location, select "Work network."
- Select "Restart now" to complete the updates. Then, follow the prompts to complete the update installation. The virtual desktop will restart. Continue with configuring the Gold Image.
See for more information.
After the image has been installed, follow these steps to ensure remote access from other computers is enabled:
- Navigate to the Windows "Start" menu and right-click on "Computer."
- Select "Properties." The System window will open.
- On the left panel, select the "Remote Settings" option. The System Properties window will open.
- In the Remote Desktop section, select the "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)" option.
- Select "Apply" to save your changes.
Windows 10 is not pre-configured for optimal VDI performance and several services. and settings should be turned off. Please refer to the NComputing Knowledge Base articles "VERDE VDI Optimization for Windows 10."
Run the VERDE Post Installation Script
- Login to the desktop session and select Start > Computer.
- In the right pane, select the VERDE CD (CD Drive with the VERDE icon).
Run the post-installation script to configure VERDE components and make the Gold Image operational.
- Double-select "FinishWindowsInstall." Follow the on-screen prompts to install the VERDE VDI User Tools. Several software driver packages will install.
- When the installation is complete, Windows will shut down.
- Log into the VERDE User Console as an administrator and launch the desktop.
- Select Start > Computer. Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update.
- Immediately install all Windows updates.
- Select "Install updates" and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Select Start > Computer.
- Right-select "Properties."
- Select the "(number of) days to activate. Activate Windows now" or the "Select here to activate" link at the bottom of the window.
- Follow the prompts to complete the activation.
- When this phase is complete, the status of the Gold Image is "NEW (INSTALL COMPLETE)" in the VERDE Management Console.
- When the image is ready to be checked in, the Gold Image status will change to "NEW." Select "CHECK IN" to make the image available for deployment.